Frequently Asked Questions
Debt Review Frequently Asked Questions
Do I Qualify for Debt Review?
To qualify for Debt Review you need to have an income and you must be over-indebted or soon to be over-indebted. Should you be unsure of your status you are welcome to visit our office for an obligation free consultation.
Get a Free Online Assessment to check your status
Why use Debt Counsellors?
Debt Counsellors were formally introduced by the National Credit Act to help consumers who are having trouble with their debts. Debt Review Centre’s consultants will advise and recommend the best course of action of how to get out of debt. Debt Review Centre will negotiate with your credit providers on your behalf and design a manageable debt repayment plan that you can afford, so that you can take control of your finances and your future.
How long does it take to protect myself from my creditors?
After submitting your application form, the Debt Counsellors will send the notifications to all your creditors informing them that you have applied for Debt Review. You are immediately protected from your creditors taking legal action or harassing you for payment arrangements.
Take charge of your finances and call us today!
What are the costs involved?
The fee structure for all registered Debt Counsellors are:
- The re-structuring fee commonly referred to, as the Debt Counsellor negotiation fee is a once-off payment, paid in month 1, equal to the first instalment that you make as per your re-structured payment plan. Maximum fee of R8,000 (single application) or R9,000 (dual application), whichever the lesser.
- After-care Fee (Commence in the second month of instalments)All payments throughout the debt review process are being monitored, the fee for this is: 5% of the monthly instalment of the debt repayment plan for the remaining period of the debt rearrangement plan.
- Rejection FeeShould the application be rejected a fee of R300 will be charged.
For more information, call us now!
Do I have to meet with the Debt Counsellors?
No all documents can be faxed or e-mailed, but all applications will be assessed by a registered Debt Counsellors.
For more information on the Debt Counselling Process, call us today!
How long will I be in the debt review program?
The actual debt review application must be completed within 60 (sixty) business days from date of application. The time period actually depends on the balance of outstanding debt and what you can afford to repay on these debts.
For more information on the Debt Review Process, contact us today!
What does it mean to be with debt review?
- You will be listed on the credit bureaus and therefore, you may not apply for new credit or continue using existing credit facilities for example a clothing account.
- No legal action may be taken against you whilst in the debt review program.
Need more information on what it means to be under Debt Review? Call us now!
Can I still apply for debt counselling after being summonsed / have judgements against me?
Yes, the summonsed account may not be included in your debt review as there is already legal action instituted on the said account. We will however negotiate a repayment installment with the relevant creditor, on your behalf.
Need more information on Debt Counselling? Call us Today!
What happens if the credit provider declines our offer?
The application is presented to the Magistrate of the local Magistrates Court to grant an Order on the application.
Have more questions? Call us Now!
Will I be listed on Credit Bureaus?
Yes. After the application form is signed – all credit bureaus will be informed that you are in the debt review program. Once all the debt has been settled, we will issue a clearance certificate and your name will be removed from the NCR listing.
Need more information on what happens next? Get in Touch Today!
Can I continue using my credit cards, accounts, etc?
No, you must stop using all credit facilities immediately. You may also not apply for any new credit agreements while in the Debt Review program.
Do you need more information? Call us Today!
Can you cover all my debts?
We will include home loans, vehicle finance, credit cards, overdrafts, store cards, personal loans and micro-loans. We will then look at your monthly income and expenses and make a recommendation on the amount you can afford to pay each month.
Do you need more information? Get in Touch Now!